Who are we?

Shareholders for Albion (S4A) is an independent association for West Bromwich Albion Group shareholders, formed in 2000 as a consequence of the turbulence at West Bromwich Albion at that time and the then dismal − perhaps even non-existent − future prospects for the Club.

West Bromwich Albion Group is the parent company of WBA Football Club, which competes in the English Premier League, WBA Football Development, which operates the training ground for WBA FC, and WBA Heritage, a dormant company that previously operated as the football club.

Following 16 years of changes to the group structure, AIM listing and de-listing, sales of large shareholdings, consolidations, transfers to holding companies and other shenanigans, 88% of WBA Group is now controlled by Guochuan Lai through companies based in China and the remaining 12% are owned by roughly 430 individuals, of whom about 20 hold ten or more shares; most of the rest hold just one.

What do we do?

We keep our members informed via emails and newsletters and offer information and guidance when necessary, such as the impact upon them when the shares were consolidated, when the ownership and structure changed from the original West Bromwich Albion Holdings company to West Bromwich Albion Group, and again when Jeremy Peace created the new incarnation of West Bromwich Albion Holdings and transferred his shares to the new company.

Representatives of S4A attend the Consultation Group meetings with Club representatives and meet with Club officials from time to time so that we can keep our members informed. We do this via a monthly email update (more frequently when there are urgent matters such as takeover offers and rights issues) and publication of a newsletter three or four times a year which is posted to all members, including a handful who live abroad.

On the social side, we hold a Forum every year with a range of Albion−related guests past or present; the Club's Chief Executive, Martin Goodman and Finance Director, Peter Band attended our last one in May 2017. We also usually hold a shorter forum as the second half of our AGM which typically takes place in October; the 2017 event was attended by the Club's Director of Football Administration, Richard Garlick and Technical Director, Nick Hammond. These events are normally held at The Hawthorns and S4A members may attend at no charge.

How do I buy or sell shares in WBA Group?

Unlike many other clubs, there is such a small number of shares in issue (approximately 9,600), the majority of which are controlled by a single individual, that no public market exists for the sale or purchase of shares in WBA Group. Transactions are carried out purely between individuals, so if you want to buy some you need to find someone willing to sell and vice-versa.

If you are in either category, we may be able to help you connect with someone in the other. However, you should be aware that the acquisition of WBA Holdings by Guochuan Lai in 2016 corresponded to a share value of somewhere around £20,000 each, which represented a significant increase on the £3-4,000 they were previously being traded at.

How do I join?

Membership is limited to owners and part-owners of shares in WBA Group Limited and our annual membership fee is £10 for individuals and £15 for family membership (i.e. where there is more than one shareholder in the family).

For further information about Shareholders For Albion please contact info@s4a.org